December field trip report

By JoAnne Weldon:
Field Trip to Quail Creek SP, Stratton Pond, SR9 Sewage Ponds, Sand Hollow SP
and Hurricane Fields. Undaunted by the cold temperatures, 15 intrepid
birders set out on Saturday, Dec. 4. The itinerary started with Quail Creek
Reservoir. After a hot snack stop at the local convenient mart, we moved on to
Stratton Pond and environs. We then meandered over to the Rte 9 Sewer Ponds and
up
to the Sand Hollow State Park. Finally we returned to St George via the
Hurricane Fields. A total of 64 species were tallied including 8 raptors.
Group
favorites included golden eagle, white-winged scoter (a life bird for many),
hooded merganser, verdin and ferruginous hawks.
The birds seen on the trip are:
Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Widgeon