Red Cliff's June field Trip

    Saturday, June12th, 10 Red Cliffs birders met at the St. George BLM  office ready to inaugurate the summer birding season.  Pine Park, an oasis of Ponderosa Pines set in the typical Utah P-J forest, was our ultimate destination.  A fine little stream called Sheep Corral Creek flows through  the pines there and creates the headwaters of  the Beaver Dam Wash. This location, coupled with a temperate microclimate, always provides some very interesting birding.   Things became exciting as we approached the farming community of Enterprise when we spotted a small flock of Wild Turkey along the shoulder of highway 18.  West of Enterprise, where the road follows Shoal Creek, we encountered some nice sloughs and small impoundments which produced an assortment of warblers, blackbirds and waterfowl. Of particular interest were two breediing pairs of Phainopepla, far from the Mohave Desert which, until lately, has been the limit of  their range. Charlie managed to call in a Yellow-breasted Chat who, in turn, provided great views and entertainment.  Pine Park yielded a nice variety of warblers; Yellow, Virginia's and Grace's.  The Grace's Warbler was especially cooperative when it perched on a low level tree branch, giving us all a great look and sparing us a collective "warbler neck"!  Beautiful day, great company, doesn't get any better!
    56 species were seen and are listed below:
Common Raven, Wild Turkey, Brewer's Blackbird, Barn Swallow, Turkey Vulture, American Robin, Say's Phoebe, Eurasian Dove, Western Kingbird, American Kestrel, Meadowlark, Mourning Dove, Northern Flicker, Red-tailed Hawk, Phainopepla, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat, Killdear, Red-winged Blackbird, Cliff Swallow, Cinnamon Teal, Mallard, Belted Kingfisher, Common Nighthawk, Great-tailed Grackle, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Black-crowned Night Heron, Ring-necked Duck, Pinion Jay, American Coot, Lark Sparrow, Western Tanager,House Sparrow, European Starling, Brewer's Sparrow, Mountain Bluebird, Loggerhead Shrike, Grace's Warbler, Cassin's Finch, Canyon Wren, Western Wood Pewee, Virginia's Warbler, Warbling Vireo, Broad-tailed Hummingbird, Violet-green Swallow, White-breasted Nuthatch, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Lesser Goldfinch,Empedinox Flycatcher, Black-headed Grossbeak, Black Phoebe, Spotted Towhee, Hairy Woodpecker, Bushtit, Gadwell and Spotted Sandpiper.
(Charlie Sheard)