Kanab Field Trip, 2 White-throated Sparrows

A small and somewhat groggy group left St. George this morning at 6:00 am to bird an area that we don't get to often - Kanab. We drove through Fredonia, Arizona, and picked up a few birds along the way, including 3 Eurasian Collared-Doves in Fredonia. Once in Kanab, we met Melissa Siders at the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument Office. We also got views of a pair of Bullock's Orioles, a Phainopepla, and a couple more Eurasian Collared-Doves there. We all went for a hike up nearby Pughe Canyon, were water seeps out in a cascade over the sandstone. It was a beautiful spot, and a peaceful morning. Good birds that we saw in the canyon included a Northern Goshawk - harrassing a Sharp-shinned Hawk, Lincoln's and Black-throated Sparrows, a Lazuli Bunting, Rock Wrens, and White-throated Swifts circling overhead. We ate lunch, and then headed back. On our way home, we decided to stop by Pipe Spring National Monument to see if anything was happening there - we were glad we did. We only needed to sit comfortably on the log benches near the ponds and all the birds came to us! We had a White-Throated Sparrow hanging out with a small flock of White-crowns, lots of Yellow and Orange-crowned Warblers, a Common Yellowthroat that came in a couple times to get a drink- and gave us fantastic views, a black phoebe, a Western Scrub-Jay, two large Common Ravens, several Brown-headed Cowbirds - who all seemed happy to see us, some Gambel's Quail, both Western and Cassin's Kingbirds , and a pair of Bullock's Orioles tending their nest. On our way out we saw in a separate White-crowned Sparrow flock, yet another White-throated Sparrow! The new museum there is nice, too.
What a great trip - with great birds. The total species list is as Follows: Ruddy Duck (at the SR-9 Sewer Ponds on the way back), Sharp-Shinned Hawk, Northern Goshawk (Pughe Canyon), Red-tailed Hawk, Gambel's Quail, Wilson's Phalarope (SR-9 Sewer Ponds), Mourning Dove, Eurasian Collared-Dove (in Fredonia and Kanab), White-throated Swift, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Black Phoebe, Say's Phoebe, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Cassin's Kingbird (Pipe Springs), Western Kingbird, Western Scrub-Jay (Pipe Springs), Common Raven, Horned Lark, Violet-green Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Cliff Swallow, Rock Wren, American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, European Starling, Phainopepla (Kanab), Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat (Pipe Springs), Green-tailed Towhee (Pughe Canyon), Chipping Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow (Pughe Canyon), White-throated Sparrow (Pipe Springs), White-crowned Sparrow, Lazuli Bunting (Pughe Canyon), Western Meadowlark, Brown-headed Cowbird, Bullock's Oriole, House Finch, Lesser Goldfinch, House Sparrow.

Kevin