Lawrence's Goldfinch -Santa Clara River (Wa. Co)

Hello,
Today (5/7) UDWR personnel (Keith Day, Cordell Peterson, Pam Larson) and
volunteers (Charlie Sheard and Jason Lundquist) captured and banded an adult
male Lawrence's Goldfinch during monitoring activities.  The goldfinch was
captured around 9:30a, along the Santa Clara River immediately below Gunlock
Dam.  It was last seen a couple hundred meters downstream of the original
capture point.

This is only the second confirmed record of Lawrence's Goldfinch in Utah.

This evening Kevin Wheeler and I walked around the area for a couple hours
but could not relocate the goldfinch.  We did, however, observe a singing
Rufous-crowned Sparrow on the rocky slope adjacent to the road along the
Santa Clara (~300 meters downstream of the Gunlock Dam).

Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT