Red Cliffs Audubon November Field Trip

Saturday, 17 members of Red Cliffs Audubon, birders all, birded within the
confines of St. George. We started at Confluence Park, at the junction of
the Santa Clara and Virgin Rivers. We walked the City Trail System
(equivalent to the Jordan Parkway Trail System in SL County) following the
Virgin River Trail around and under I-15 for about a mile.

30 species were seen, highlights included:
Cooper's Hawk
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Say's Phoebe
Juniper Titmouse
Rock Wren
Canyon Wren
Bewick's Wren
Crissal Thrasher
Spotted Towhee
Abert's Towhee
Golden-crowned Sparrow.

After leaving that area, we drove west on Sunset Blvd. to Halfway Wash. Here
we parked at the Dixie Sunset Plaza and dropped down on to the Halfway Wash
Trail. Beginning where the Clapper Rail was seen earlier, we birded both
north and south of that spot.

I left the group around 1PM. At that time we had seen about 14 species.
Highlights were:
Gambel's Quail
Bushtit
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Bewick's Wren
Marsh Wren

The fall color was at it's peak with the golden Tamarisk and bright
yellow-gold Cottonwoods along the "creeks". Water was flowing in all. and
today it rained all day. The Northern Shoveler in my back yard just loved
it... so did we.

Can it get any better?

Bill Hunter
St. George