Red Cliffs October Events

Dear friends and members of Red Cliffs Audubon:
Here's our planned activities for the month of October. All are open to anybody that would like to participate:

Saturday, October 4: (not an Audubon event, but open to anybody that would like to go) Three California Condors will be released from an aviary atop the Vermilion Cliffs in Arizona. This will increase the Southwest's population to 37 in the wild, including one young in a nest. Project biologists will be on hand to provide program information. 9:00 (Arizona time) at the far west end of the Vermilion Cliffs, 27 miles west of Marble Canyon, Arizona on BLM road 1065 (aka Upper House Rock/ Coyote Valley Road) three miles north of US Highway 89A (at the western end of the Vermilion Cliffs). This is a graded, sedan-accessible road. From this vantage point, attendees will have a clear, but distant, view of the release facility atop the Vermilion Cliffs. Be advised to bring warm, layered clothing (temperatures may range from 20 - 60 degrees F.), snacks, warm beverage, plenty of water, spotting scopes, binoculars, and folding chairs.

Wednesday, October 8: Red Cliffs General Meeting: Red Cliffs Desert Reserve Biologist Lori Rose will will be our guest speaker. She will speak on wildlife (and birds) of the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve - practically in our back yard. Should be informative and interesting! Meet at the Tonaquint Nature Center at Tonaquint Park at 7:00 pm.

Saturday, October 11: Field Trip to Pahranagant National Wildlife Reserve in Nevada. This has always been a favorite trip, and a good one to see rare migrants. In the past, we've found a Zone-tailed Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Peregrine Falcon, Tundra Swans, Common Tern, Sabine's Gull, Evening Grosbeaks, Virginia Rails, and more. Bring lunch and water, also your binoculars, field guides, and scopes if you have them. Meet at the Interagency (BLM) offices on Riverside Drive at 8:00 am (let me know if any of you want to meet in Mesquite, we can stop there too).

Hope to see you all out to any or all of these events. Bring your birding friends, too. The more the merrier (and sometimes the more chances to see something really good).

Kevin