Sept 13 Red Cliffs Trip

We had a great day with the Red Cliff's Audubon trip on the 13th of September.

We started at Virgin Springs, hoping to catch a glimpse of a Virginia Rail, and
heard one, but it didn't come out for us.  We then traveled up through Zion
Park where we saw a Lewis's Woodpecker along the Kolob Terrace road.  From
there we hiked to Sawmill Spring from Lava Point where we saw a green-tailed
towhee.  To complete our trip we stopped at Kolob reservoir where we were able
to watch an osprey catch a fish and fly overhead.  We thought the day was done
and were heading home when Kevin happened to spot a bird perching on the rail
of a boarded up cabin.  We thought the bird was just another turkey vulture at
first look, but then we noticed the numbered tag hanging from his shoulder-a
CALIFORNIA CONDOR!!  It was quite an exciting finish for the day, as it sat
there and let us take a good long look.  Charlie realized at this point he had
forgotten his lunch at Lava Point.  When we  got there, we took a moment to
look around, and saw a Northern Goshawk circling above us.  What a spectacular
trip!

We hope to see you next saturday, the 27th for our field trip to Quail Creek
reservoir, Washington Fields, and ect...

Here is a list of the birds seen Saturday September 13th:
House Finch
Song Sparrow
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Virginia Rail (heard only)