Newcastle Reservoir

Last week I made a pass by Newcastle Reservoir (about 20 miles west of
Cedar City). There was not much there however there was a mixed flock of
Western and Clark's Grebes out on the water on the south end of the
reservoir. They were mostly Clarks (10-15 birds) but there were 3-4
Westerns in with them.  It was a good opportunity to compare the
differences which were quite obvious when they were swimming side by side.
I have read that they do nest in mixed colonies so I suppose it is not too
surprising that they would be in a mixed flock out on the water.

I also saw one American White Pelican, a small flock of White-faced Ibis's
and 3-4 Black-necked Stilts.

Yesterday I was at Pine Valley Reservoir and there were numerous Pygmy
Nuthatches scattered throughout the pines.