Red Cliffs' field trip to Kanab Creek

Kanab Creek!  What a great spot to bird as 12 members and friends of Red Cliffs Audubon recently discovered.  Guided by Melissa Siders from the Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument we spent a very enjoyable 4 hours birding a small stretch  of  the creek as it flows along just north of the town of Kanab.  The Cottonwoods and Willows that line both banks of the creek were filled with the songs of Grosbeaks, Warblers and Buntings. From the creek we made a brief sojurn to  the golf course and spotted a few of the desert species in the nearby desert scrub. Finally, as we ate our lunches under the shade of a large Cottonwood tree we were entertained by one of the local Eurasian Collared - Doves. Thanks Melissa!

28 species were seen;  American Robin, European Starling, Bullock's Oriole, House Finch, House Sparrow, Turkey Vulture, Western Kingbird, White-throated Swift, Rough-winged Swallow, Brown-headed Cowbird, Western Wood Pewee, Yellow Warbler, Blue Grosbeak, Scrub Jay, Spotted Towhee, American Coot, Spotted Sandpiper, Cooper's Hawk, Lazuli Bunting, Mourning Dove, Black-headed Grosbeak, Say's Phoebe, Common Raven, Black-throated Sparrow, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Cactus Wren and Eurasian Collared - Dove. (Charlie Sheard)