Birds on the Edge.

Greetings from rainy St. George. Yes, it's raining - but you knew that. A
good time to check out the ponds at SunRiver.

Of interest, on the edge of the silt pond there stands one Great Egret,
three beautiful Great Blue Herons and a Green Heron. What makes this unusual
is that they are accustomed to golfers, so I was able to get within 30 feet
of these birds, using the golf cart as a blind, as the cart path goes along
the side of the pond.

The Green Heron is between juvenile and adult. It's just starting to get the
chestnut coloring on the sides of the head.

But the bird of the day was a beautiful male Sora, out in the rain,
oblivious of me - 20' away. I do think the rainy weather had a lot to do
with his open behavior. He walked on cattails laying in the water, swam in
open water with a Coot, and just literally ignored my presence. His plumage
was half way between winter and breeding. For a bird I rarely see, it was a
nice find.

Enjoy.

Bill Hunter
SunRiver St. George