Gunlock Reservoir

This morning (10/25) Charlie Sheard and I went to Gunlock Reservoir to
locate the birds reported by Rick Fridell. We did find the Red Phalarope and
the Surf Scooters.

The Phalarope had moved to the north end of the reservoir and was
associating with the Scoters. At first, we had difficulty finding the
Scoters. Finally found one diving, after dismissing several female
Ring-necked Ducks. Only to lose her again. Eventually, the bird paired up
with a second and they drifted on the surface in their sleep mode.

Also present were 5 Wood Ducks. One adult female and four others either
juveniles or in eclipse plumage. These birds were on the shore at the very
north end of the water just west of the inflow.

There was also a female Red-breasted Merganser hanging around the flotilla
of California Gulls at the south end of the reservoir.

Here is a list of birds seen:

Pied-billed Grebe(s)
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe (4)
Great Blue Heron
Wood Duck
Green-winged Teal
Mallard
Ring-neck Duck
Surf Scoter (2)
Red-breasted Merganser (1)
American Coot
Red Phalarope (1)
Ring-billed Gull (few)
California Gull (many)
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Loggerheaded Shrike
Bewick's Wren (2)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (2)
American Robin (100+ migrating below the dam)
Great-tailed Grackle (1-female)

A stop at Sunbrook was unsuccessful at locating the European Wigeon

Bill Hunter
St. George