Pelicans +

Hi.

The pelicans did not come back last night. And I received an e-mail from
Kathleen Roach:

"Two Mondays ago, Sept 9th., Susan Saffle and I were birding at Garr Ranch
on Antelope Island up here in Salt Lake City.  We were entertained for half
an hour or so by about 300 to 500 White Pelicans kettling over the mountains
in the west.  Finally, they caught the thermals and headed up, up, and into
the clouds and off to the south.  What an awesome picture it was, hundreds
of beautiful white birds, with the yellow grassland mountains, the blue,
blue skies and those fluffy, white, cottonball-type clouds.  Wouldn't it be
interesting if those were the same pelicans that you were seeing down in
your neck of the woods?"

Yes, and maybe they were.

Anyway, last night on the pond produced a Black Tern; immature Black-crowned
Nigh-Heron, that I tried unsuccessfully to turn into an American Bittern;
Lesser Nighthawk, there used to be literally dozens late in the evening, now
only one; Western Meadowlarks; Yellow-headed Black birds, which aren't very
yellow anymore - first winter like; and one Spotted Sandpiper. And the usual
ducks and such, Widgeon, Mallard, Ring-neck, Shoveler, Coot, Mute Swan,
Pied-billed Grebe. Coots nested this year and I watched the little gray fuzz
balls mature.

Mahalo

Bill Hunter
St. George