Birding SunRiver.

Title: Birding SunRiver.
Greetings all.

It's been awhile since I've made any mention of birding here at SunRiver, so I thought I'd give you somewhat of an update now that waterfowl are on the move.

A couple of days ago it was reported to me that there were two "Freshwater Pelicans" (American White Pelicans) on our pond. For information; there are 4 ponds here, the largest of which sits beneath the Atkinville Bluff and stretches about 400+ yards. Rather impressive. Much bigger than the pond at St. George Golf Course. In addition there are three other ponds acting either as silting ponds or collection ponds for water for irrigation. Then the Virgin River runs along the western boundary of SunRiver offering extensive riparian habitat as well. Add in the "grassland" community of the golf course and the "untouched" desert community outside of the  back nine and you have a variety of habitats here. There is a Loggerheaded Shrike that uses holes 13 and 14 as its residence.

But back to the pelicans. Last night, while my wife and I were out for a walk, we noticed one American White Pelican flying over the pond. This morning there were 30 American White Pelicans on the pond. On the silt pond there was a small flock of about 9 Blue-winged Teal. Beautiful wing pattern as they took off and flew before me only to alight in the pond again.

On a sad note, but mother nature working; we had two Mute Swans on the big pond until the other night when a coyote came and caught one of them for dinner. Alas, now there is only one. And we have a mother and child skunk "grubbing" in many of the lawns around here. They can really wreck havoc on those lawns full of grubs.

Over the past 17 months I have totaled 118 species of birds here at SunRiver. Not a bad "backyard" bird count.

Dixie Willie
St. George.