Semipalmated Sandpiper

Hello,
Today (8/10), I saw a Semipalmated Sandpiper at the SR-9 (Hurricane) Sewer
Ponds.  It was in the Northwest pond, which is currently low, providing good
shorebird habitat.  The Semipalmated Sandpiper was foraging with several
Western Sandpipers, offering great comparisons.  It was a juvenile and could
be distinguished from other peeps at the pond by its short tube like bill,
black legs, lack of rufous in the back, and a darker face and crown than the
Western Sandpipers.  Killdeer, Semipalmated Plovers, Spotted Sandpipers,
Least Sandpipers, and Wilson's Phalaropes were also at the pond.  This is
the first Semipalmated Sandpiper I have seen in Washington County.

Have fun birding,

Rick Fridell