Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 3:36 PM
Subject: Moab Bird Club endorsement of Redrock Heritage Proposal

Hi Marion,

Thanks again for having me to the Bird Club picnic. Below is the email I promised. Feel free to edit freely, or to re-write it if you would prefer it come from you.

Dear Moab Bird Club members:

On behalf of all the members of the Redrock Heritage Coalition, I would like to ask the Moab Bird Club to endorse the proposed management plan submitted to the Moab BLM Field Office last February. This plan primarily concerns off-road-vehicles and oil and gas development.

It all boils down to one word: balance. Balance is what we need, it?s what the other proposed alternatives lack, and it?s what our proposal provides. Without a balanced management plan, the land will suffer, the animals and birds will suffer, non-motorized public land users will suffer, our local economy will suffer, our sense of community will suffer.

If you were among the 20 or so members who attended the April 20 Bird Club gathering at the Stolfas?, you will probably be familiar with the proposal. You may also have read one of the several articles about the proposal in our local newspaper, read one of the numerous letters to the editor or seen the proposal at one of the many retail shops in town that have it on display on a clip board at the counter. For a detailed review of the proposal with maps you can download and view with Acrobat Reader, please visit www.redrockheritage.org. I?ve also included a short description below.

After reviewing the proposal please reply to Marion Eason indicating whether or not you wish the Bird Club to endorse it. We had hoped to take care of this item at the club meeting Tuesday evening but too few members showed up. Because the BLM is right now in the process of deciding how to frame the alternatives, which will probably come out in a draft Environmental Impact Statement sometime this fall, it is important that we decide the endorsement question soon. The small group that showed up Tuesday evening proposed we conduct this straw poll via email. I hope you approve.

By way of introduction, The Redrock Heritage Coalition is made up of a broad cross-section of the local community, including Jeff Flanders (KZMU), Eileen Berry (Moab Music Festival), Candee Pearson (former Trail Mix) and Kevin Walker (Sierra Club) and Franklin Seal (SUWA). The proposal has been endorsed by the local chapters of the Back Country Horsemen Association, Sierra Club, Living Rivers, along with 45 local businesses and over 1,900 individuals. Two weeks ago the Moab Chamber of Commerce received an hour-long presentation on it?s effect in helping sustain our local economy. It is increasingly being seen as one of the moderate alternatives.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and reply,

Franklin Seal

The Redrock Heritage Proposal

For many, the redrock wilderness of southeast Utah is the greatest place on earth. It has inspired hundreds of writers and artists. People are captivated by the aesthetic qualities of canyon country, including the striking clear skies, sprawling vistas, profound natural quiet, geological marvels, and its wild and primitive feel.

Unfortunately, the threats to this world-famous landscape are great and growing.  Oil and gas development is escalating, leaving behind toxic sludge pits and an unwieldy system of roads that permanently scares this world-class scenery.  Off-road vehicle use is causing loss of natural quiet, soil and crusts, damage to desert streams and springs and conflicts with other users. Domestic livestock grazing in this desert ecosystem is devastating to the native vegetation and drastically reduces forage for the wildlife that call this landscape home.

The BLM must acknowledge these lands are a precious resource that should not be managed as just another place for oil drilling, unmitigated grazing and ORV mayhem. Economically, it makes sense to protect them. Studies show that communities with protected wilderness show economic resilience. The aim of this proposal is to care for the goose laying the golden eggs.

Travel Plan: Road and Trail Network
The current road and trail network in SE Utah is the unplanned result of historical seismic and mineral exploration.  This haphazard spider web of routes makes no sense whatsoever as a reasonable recreational transportation plan. Our proposal (see attached map) embodies the following guidelines:

  • Vehicles should be restricted to designated roads and trails throughout the entire resource areas -- no "open" ORV play areas.
  • All routes should serve some identifiable purpose.
  • There needs to be adequate opportunities for both motorized and non-motorized recreation, while avoiding conflicts between these two groups.
  • In order to facilitate enforcement, there should be a "closed unless signed open" policy.
  • Ecologically damaging routes, such as routes through riparian areas, should be closed.
  • There needs to be adequate opportunities to get out of earshot of motorized trails.

Oil and Gas
Oil and gas exploration and development is one of the major causes of environmental destruction in SE Utah. But most geologists agree that very little energy remains to be tapped outside the areas already developed.  If every remaining undeveloped area in Utah were filled with drill pads, it would extend our national oil supply by about 3 weeks and our natural gas supply by less than 5 months.

  • O & G development could continue in and near productive areas such as the eastern Book Cliffs and Lisbon Valley.
  • O & G development would be phased out in the eastern Canyonlands Basin, Labyrinth/Goldbar/Island in the Sky area, Dome Plateau, and Fisher Valley.

Other Provisions
  • New lights in remote areas are strongly discouraged.
  • BLM will determine which lands are suitable and appropriate for livestock grazing.
  • All grazing allotments will be eligible for voluntary buyout and retirement.