Re: Photos of Harris's Hawk in Draper

Greetings;

I contacted Hogle Zoo, Tracy Aviary and local falconers (who often keep Harris Hawks).  The zoo and aviary reported back to me that all of their birds are accounted for.  It is certainly a Harris Hawk.  These Hawks do not occur in Utah, nor are they listed on the recently revised 2004 Utah Ornithological Society field checklist.  Sibley's Guide To Birds does not show the range map extending into Utah either.  It is likely an escapee, perhaps from a falconer.  Although, I could not see any evidence of a Jess or leg band in the photo.  The behavior, coming into a backyard and bathing in a pool, also suggests a captive bird.

Regards,

Bill Fenimore