Nesting Peregrine Falcons

Hi Folks -

Thought you might enjoy an update on the Peregrine Falcons that are nesting on the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in downtown Salt Lake City.

I spent a good share of the day yesterday and today downtown and was able to witness firsthand the dedication of those monitoring the falcons and their genuine care and concern for the birds.

As you may or may not know, the falcons have taken up residence in the downtown area after being absent for many years.  Two young have hatched with the first one fledging last Sunday.  Apparently, his first flight was a bit bumpy; however, he is now starting to get the hang of things and is making some good, strong, short flights.  He has also been successful in learning to find food caches presumably left by his parents.  As of 1:30 this afternoon, the second young one had not left the nesting box although several times she acted like she might.  She would stand very near the edge, look around, spread her wings and then decide to stay put.  Maybe she was intimidated by the height or perhaps just decided to take advantage of the "room service" her parents were providing for as long as possible.

Volunteers are posted at strategic points surrounding the JSMB and it is my understanding they will continue to monitor the birds until they feel they are safe from the perils of the city (maybe another week).  You might enjoy coming downtown for a few hours to help the cause or just to watch these wonderful birds for a few minutes.  I found it very convenient to take TRAX.  Exit at City Center and look for the volunteers to obtain the current location of the birds and other information.

This effort is being very well received by the downtown population.  Many of the "regulars" are closely monitoring the falcons on breaks and lunch hours and many have set up observation rooms at their places of business.  Many are curious when they see the volunteers peering through binoculars and scopes and stop to ask questions and take a look for themselves.  As one man watched Bob Walters (DWR project coordinator) watch the birds he said, "I don't know what your job is, but I'd like to have it."

I won't take up any more of your time.  Hope you have the opportunity to visit the downtown birds.

Pomera

P.S.  I have no "official" connection to this project, but I don't suppose any of those who do will have time to post an update since they are putting in long, long hours every day.  My report is offered simply as an observer of the process.