FW: LBBG, NOT 1-11-04

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
It was submitted by Julie.

Subject: LBBG, NOT 1-11-04

Message: Pomera and I went to the Bonuntiful Landfull today (Sunday) but did not find the Lesser Black-backed Gull. We walked in from the southwest side of the landfill and could see the gulls on the ice pretty well with a scope and some up on the landfill hills, but no LBBG. We scanned the gulls for over an hour, but no luck. This is about the 6th time I've chased this bird--counting the previous year it was reported there--I hope it's not like my luck with the Rufous-crowned Sparrow!!

To access this area, turn west onto a snow-packed dirt-gravel before entering the landfill gate (you'll be on the north side of the canal) and go to the end where there is a parking lot for Farmington Bay WMA hunter access. Head northeast out of the parking lot on the snow-packed, gated road--you can see the landfill--fairly easy walking. It took us 15 minutes to get to the area where we had a view of the ice north of the landfill.

Please report if the gull is seen again.

Good birding y'all,
Julie