Acorn Woodpecker, Western Bluebirds etc.

    Mary and I spent Thursday night at Calf Creek Falls (yes it rained, yes it was cold, yes it was a good trip anyway).  As we passed Scipio Lake we noticed that it was covered with tons of birds so we had to pull over.  There were mostly Mallards and Canada Geese along with a good mix of the usual ducks including GW Teal, Pintail, Shoveler, Am. Widgeon, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, L. Scaup and eared grebes and probably a few more I can't remember.  On the way back north on Friday there were still a few birds there, but it was mostly empty and we didn't stop.

    We did a little birding on Boulder Mountain.  Near the summit we stopped and walked for a while (I believe it was the Pleasant Creek trailhead on the west side of the road).  We saw about a dozen Western Bluebirds in a meadow and tons (50-100) Yellow-rumped Warblers in a flock foraging in the aspens along with a few BC Chickadees and RC Kinglets.  On the south side of the mountain the Acorn Woodpecker was still at the same tree busily gathering acorns from the nearby Gamble Oaks.

    At Calf Creek things were pretty quiet, but we did see a Red-napped Sapsucker, a Juniper Titmouse, about five deer and several other more common species along the walk to the falls, which I highly recommend if you haven't been there before.

    The fall colors on Boulder Mountain were spectacular, but just about gone.  The leaves along Calf Creek were just starting to change and should be perfect for the next few weeks.

Matt Thorum