Fw: [IBLE] Whooper Swan at Hagerman-Yes

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Davis
To: ible post
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: Whooper Swan at Hagerman-Yes

The juv. whooper swan was still present today,  12/22/05, downstream of
Owlsely bridge.  Neither leg is banded, at least on the upper part of
the
legs.  I saw it raise its wings once and observed no marking or
abnormalities of any type.  A hint for those going for the first time-
separate this from the juv trumpeters look for the large whitish patch
at
the base of the upper bill. A close view will reveal a tinge of yellow
near
the face.  Don't be misled by the pinkish color on the trumpeters.  The
NGS
bird guide shows a large pinkish patch for the whooper, but our bird
must be
older; no trace of pink.  Our guy also has a white tail, white patches
on
the back, and white flanks that the young trumpeters don't have.

Also be patient.  The bird was not present when several birders first
arrived about 10 am.   But after searching up and down the river, it was

finally found about 11 am right back where it has been seen all along.

Thanks to Zeke and Kent for finding this guy and letting us know.

Bob Davis
Idaho Falls

PS, For the record a swamp sparrow was also found (not by me) near the
Hagerman Fish hatchery.