Bountiful Landfill

Hi,

Bob Huntington and I went out this morning to do some scouting for
tomorrow's CBC. Naturally, afterward we also went birding. We started out  at AIC, and
found three of the Long-tailed Ducks at the bridge by the marina. We  also saw
a Glaucous Gull and two Herring Gulls on the south side of the bridge.

We had talked about going to the Bountiful Landfill for a couple of weeks,
and Colby's report this morning made sure we went this time. We found a
Glaucous  Gull right off as well as a Thayers. Lots of Herring Gulls. We walked to
the top  of a dirt ridge south of the main dump where we could see the main dump
better.  We spent about a hour here and Bob thought he saw a very dark backed
gull  flying, but neither of us could pick it up with the binoculars. I did
get a  bonus however. On the west side hill was an adult GLAUCOUS-WINGED  GULL.
It gave us both good looks over several minutes, and we both  were on it when
it flew and got a good look at its wing tips. Not only a  new year bird, but
also a Utah life bird for me. Bob already had  one this year, so I picked up
one on him as well.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow on the CBC.

Jack Binch