black scoter(?) and Baird's sandpipers at BRMBR

Today at about 12 p.m. I saw what I am fairly sure was a female black
scoter in the northwest corner of the auto tour loop at Bear River
Migratory Bird Refuge. It was initially observed about 1 mile south of
Unit One gate, a few hundred yards south of the road posted "No
Vehicles" and about 150 yards east of the road. It swam rapidly away
from me and frequently dove so I didn't get great looks at it and was
unable to photograph it, but in watching it as best I could for about 15
minutes was still able to observe that:

1. It had a strong black cap and a plain white unstriped cheek, compared
with the striped or partially striped cheeks of female ruddy ducks.
2. It did not have a tail sticking out above the water as is commonly
the case with female ruddy ducks, although this is not always
diagnostic.
3. It appeared to be about 25-30% larger than other ruddy ducks in the
vicinity, sitting both higher out of the water and appearing broader
from side to side and from front to back, although the bird was very
much a loner and was never near enough other ruddy ducks to provide a
definitive comparison.
4. As previously mentioned, the bird was a loner and did not seem
interested in associating with the other ducks in the area, whereas the
ruddys seemed to assemble in small, loosely structured packs - or
flotillas - of 3-5 or more birds.

Upon my return home, I reviewed the photos of the female black scoter
taken by Rick Fridell at Sand Hollow last November and believe the bird
I saw early this afternoon looks very much the same. However, given the
variation in female ruddy ducks and difficulties in observing the bird,
it is entirely possible that I am mistaken in my identification. If
anyone can confirm my sighting I would very much appreciate it.

There was also a pair of yellow-headed blackbirds still holding out in
the brush near the the west bridge on the south end of the loop, and a
quartet of Baird's sandpipers was seen feeding with a group of  killdeer
in the mudflats several hundred yards southeast of the main storage
building.

Lu Giddings