Fwd: American golden plover seen in Hickman Flats road wetlands (San Juan Co.)

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 21:32:25 -0600 (MDT)

It was submitted by Lu Giddings

Subject: American golden plover seen in Hickman Flats road wetlands (San Juan Co.)

Email_Address: seldom74@xmission.com

Message: An American golden plover was seen late this evening in the wetlands that straddle Hickman Flats road (San Juan county road #332) about 12 miles northeast of Monticello. It was observed for nearly 30 minutes feeding by itself in an inundated field about 50 yards south of the road. It was in non-breeding plumage. I did not see many other shorebirds, other than some killdeer and a lesser yellowleg, but there were large numbers of waterfowl, including green-wing teal, northern pintails, northern shovelers, mallards, canada geese, and etc. Many of the waterfowl were observed in breeding plumage.

This was my first visit to this area. It is not named on my maps and will not be seen on any but detailed maps. It is one of the few areas that I know of in San Juan county that provides suitable habitat for waterfowl and shorebirds. It appears to be perennially wet. In my opinion this is an area that should be included in the Utah Birds San Juan co. list and watched as closely and often as possible.

Hickman Flats road is not currently named as such, nor is it currently marked with its San Juan county road designation. It is an unmarked graded dirt road that leaves Highway 191 at about mile marker 77.25, about 0.25 miles north of the Monticello airport. It travels east and south for several miles, winding through a few homes and some juniper, before straightening out and traveling more or less directly east through the fields that run from Monticello to Colorado. At about 5.5-6.0 miles, the road branches to the south; continue to travel east. The wetlands are about 4-5 miles east of the split and roughly 10 miles from Highway 191. The wetlands appear to be "U' shaped, with the majority of the water lying to the north of the road. It cross the road twice, leaving substantial marshy areas to the south of the road, but the road has been built up so that there is no risk associated with traveling it - as long as you don't go off the road. If you drive far enough east on Hickman Flats
 road you can't miss this wetlands. Just don't give up before you get there.

In addition to the shorebirds and waterfowl observed at the wetlands, raptors were well represented this evening. Three juvenile golden eagles, a pair of ferruginous hawks, and several harriers were observed in and around the Monticello area.

Finally, a Gunnison sage grouse was observed about 2 miles south of the wetlands described above. Unfortunately it had been very seriously flattened by heavy vehicles, but its wing and back plumage and legs and feet were very well preserved.

Lu Giddings