location and description

Hello again everyone.

Rush Valley is located about 20 miles South of Tooele (SW of SLC).  The fields I saw this bird flying over was close to the intersection of highway 36 and 99.  It was also flying along the train tracks that parallel Hwy 36, one morning.

The first time I saw this bird in August, I was watching a Ferruginous Hawk hunt and had taken many pictures of it, to the point of filling up my memory card.  So when this other large bird flew over my head, I didn't have any space left on my camera.  I will go out this weekend with a new memory card and attempt to find it again.  I have only seen this bird flying overhead, and not on the ground nor perched.

Before I say the word "Caracara" again, let me describe the bird I saw because this may be a Western bird that I am unfamiliar with.  The bird that flew above me was about the size of a Red-tailed Hawk (maybe slightly larger), just the tips of it's wing feathers were white, as if dipped in paint.  The tail was also white --  I don't recall seeing a black terminal band, tho.  The head was whitish and the rest of the body was very dark brown/black.  It was 8-9am as it was flying over the newly plowed fields.  There were also turkey vultures flying in the area, which made this bird stand out even more because of its distinct markings.

Based on all your reactions, you really have me doubting my ID.  I'm not an expert birder by any means and am new to the West.  I have seen Caracara's in Mexico, and this one bird looked darn similar.  So until I can get a photo to show you all, please don't drive all the way out here for this to turn out to be some immature hawk molting or something.

Thanks again for all your quick emails, and I'll keep looking for this creature.

Candy in Dugway, UT