CURLEW SANDPIPER - Maybe?!?!?!

Here is the skinny on the CUSA.  About 20 or so birders were scouring
the rocks between the first bridge and the large pile about a 1/2 mile
west of the bridge looking for the bird.  Around 10:00 am most people
dispersed to go to the Ranch or check for other birds.  Lu Giddings
remained scanning each incoming and leaving flock of birds.  I was
scanning a flock of peeps at the area a 1/2 mile west of the bridge,
when I noticed a larger bird off and to the rear of the group.  I
started to focus on the bird, as it stretched its wings, showing a white
stripe on the wings and a white rump.  However, the bird immediately
flew with the other 50 or so birds that took off.  AS the birds flew
this individual remained a little above the group, with a different wing
beat than thegroup of mostly Baird's Sandpiper, and 2 Pectoral
Sandpiper.

I cannot say for sure this was the bird, but only 2 possibilities are
possible.  Either this was the CUSA, or another rarity, the White-rumped
Sandpiper.  Again, I didn't get a good enough look at the bill to make
the call. It's one of those 50/50 things.  Several hardy birders stuck
around till about 3:45 scanning flocks before leaving.  Also seen along
the causeway:

1 American Golden-Plover
46 Black-bellied Plover
4 Pectoral Sandpiper
5 Least Sandpiper
1 Semipalmated Sandpiper
11 Snowy Plover
2 Semipalmated Plover
100's Baird's Sandpiper
100's Western Sandpiper
Willet
American Avocet
Black-necked Stilt
Long-billed Curlew
Spotted Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope
Red-necked Phalarope
 (possible WHIMBREL, I have some interesting images)
Prairie Falcon
Northern Shoveler
Gadwall
American White Pelican
Snowy Egret
Double-crested Cormorant
White-faced Ibis
California Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Franklin's Gull
Western Meadowlark
Lark Sparrow
House Sparrow
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow
Tree Swallow
etc, etc, etc.....

Shorebird numbers were back up today, in comparison to yesterday
morning, and many birds were in closer on the northside between MM 4-5.
Well I will keep heading back probably every otehr day this week, as new
shorebirds are arriving daily, who knows what else could show up in an
overnight turn over...

Good Birding

Tim
http://www.timaverybirding.com
Salt Lake City, UT or Wherever the Birds Take Me!