curlew sandpiper?

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:00:31 -0600
I wouldn't mind coming down for the Curlew Sandpiper. What
characteristics did you use to separate this bird from a winter-plumaged
Dunlin. Was the white rump seen?

Thanks,

Darren Clark

Rexburg, ID

About 7:30 this evening Kathy and I found a Curlew Sandpiper along the Antelope Island Causeway. It was on the north side, a little more than .4 (four-tenths) mile west of the entrance station, where the water first begins. It was in winter (non-breeding) plumage, and was with a large flock of peeps, mainly Western and Baird's Sandpipers. With a plain gray body, long black legs and decurved bill, the bird really stood out in the
scope. At 20-25 yards away, it wasn't quite so noticable in binoculars.