Broad-Winged Hawk, Three-Toed Woodpecker

     I went up to the Nebo Loop today to look for the
Three-toed Woodpeckers at the Nebo Bench Trail. The
Nebo Loop is located between Payson, Utah County and
Nephi, Juab County. Before arriving to Nebo Bench
trailhead near the Santaquin Canyon overlook was a
juvenille Broad-winged Hawk. There was a Red-tail near
by for size and other comparison. I got terrific looks
at this bird, and am very confident in my
identification. A beginner birder was with me and saw
it as well. It was smaller and very light. If you want
more identification marks feel free to email.
     Also at Nebo Bench trailhead saw several
Three-toed Woodpeckers which was a first that I have
seen in Utah County. I marked a spot along the road
about 200 yards south of the parking lot for the
trailhead. With a pile of aspen sticks. This was very
popular area with lots of woodpeckers including the
three-toed. Of a side note yesterday there were
Nashville Warblers arriving on River Lane in Utah
County.

KC Childs

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs