RED PHALAROPE, Pect. Sandpiper, etc. @ Antelope Island

After hitting Bear River I ran down to Antelope Island, where the real shorebird
bonanza was happening.  The sheer number of birds now is the most I have seen
on the causeway.

Between MM 5 - 6 was where all the activity was happening.  A lone Juvenile RED
PHALAROPE was in a mixed flock of Red-necked and Wilson's Phalarope jsut 50
yards to the south of the Casueway.  The birds were about 250 yards form MM 5.

About 300 yards from MM 6 on the north side of the Causeway were:

34+ SNOWY PLOVER
5 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER
8 RED KNOT
5,000+ peeps

On the southside of the Causeway where about 100 yards further west was a
feeding frenzy of peeps just 25 meters off the causway.  There was 1 PECTORAL
SANDPIPER feeding in the rocks along with:

75 Western Sandpiper
21 Least Sandpiper
11 Bairds Sandpiper
26 Sanderling

Further out were 1,000's of Peeps, and I would estimate at least 25,000
Phalarope.  Also seen along the causeway were:

4 Long-billed Curlew
Spotted Sandpiper
American Avocet
Black-necked Stilt
Willet

and a PEREGRINE FALCON  flying over, twice caused 1,000's of shorebirds to take
to flight, creating a cloud of birds flying around.  Another strange causeway
bird was a BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD near MM 4 heading west towards the
mainland.

Quite a day for shorebirds.  In all I saw 22 Species of shorebird, which I think
has to be the most I have eve rseen in a day.  What a morning!

Good Birding

Tim

Salt Lake City, UT and Southwest, WY
http://www.timaverybirding.com