Re: Birds, Bird Feeders, Cats, and Nice Neighbors.....................

Good advice on keeping birds safe.

Additionally, I have placed a short (12" to 18") garden fence in a circle around the feeder area.  It has the large wire squares that birds can easily pass through but block a cat's body.  When making a charge, the cat is forced to confront the fence and leap over it.  This provides the birds ample opportunity to elude the cat.  The short fence is easy to step over when refilling and cleaning feeders.

I ask neighbors to keep their cats indoors, pointing out that house cats often live 12-18 years, versus 3-5 years when kept inside.  Placed in my back yard is a large Havaheart wire box trap.  It takes cats, raccoons and skunks who wander into the yard.  Animal control deals with them.  Cats and raccoons are non-native species to Utah.

Regards,

Bill Fenimore