  From: Jim & Beanie
  To: Bird Net
  Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 9:16 PM
  Subject: [birdnet] Birds, Bird Feeders, Cats, and Nice Neighbors.............

I find it very important to properly place a bird feeder so that the birds will have the advantage, not the CAT! Lets face it, the birds will take care of them selves if you give them a chance.

Here are the ground rules:

Do not place the feeder anywhere the cat can climb or jump to it.

Do not place the feeder within 15 feet of any hiding place for the cat.

The only thing that meets these requirements is a feeder on top of a six foot steel post placed in a clear area like the lawn. Not in a tree, not on a patio, not above a flower garden with all sorts of vegetation to hide in.

The cat can't climb the pole, can't jump six feet, and will find it almost impossible to sneak close enough to pounce if the 15 foot rule is observed.

The birds will discover the cat and take evasive action if you give them a chance. If we don't give the birds this chance, we must ask, who is really responsible if the cat gets a bird?

The cat?

Our nice neighbors?

The Guy who lured in a large concentration of birds for the cat to prey on?

Charlie Brown?

You decide!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/HB/hb2.htm