Great Southern Utah Birds

Hi Folks -

Some of the birds that Steve, Cindy and I saw in southern Utah this weekend are appropriate for birdnet and some for birdtalk; however, I have chosen to submit one post.

Many Salt Lake birders were in Springdale on Sunday morning for a chance to see the Rufous-backed Robin and see it we did.  The bird appeared about 8:15 a.m. roughly in the same place as previously reported.  The orchard was very active and produced a nice surprise of a flock of Pinyon Jays.  Near Virgin, we found a beautiful Ferruginous Hawk and a dozen Red Crossbills.

Best birds at Lytle Ranch were a Brown Thrasher (in the same area as last winter) and a Long-eared Owl.

At the Virgin River confluence this morning, we saw more Abert's Towhees than I have ever seen in one place, Gambel's Quail, Crissal Thrasher and a Greater Road Runner that I swear was muttering something about Lu Giddings.  During the time we were at the confluence, a steady stream of American Crows flew overhead.  We estimated the number at near 1,000.

Our last stop before heading home was the area in and around Red Cliffs Campground.  The best sighting here was a flock of 30 Evening Grosbeaks.  Notable misses were Golden-crowned and Rufous-crowned Sparrows.

Pomera