Brant

On Friday I led a small group of Europeans to do some birding in Tooele and Davis counties, then they wanted to see the Bear River Bird Refuge.  I gave them directions and they visited the Refuge today, Saturday.  One of the experienced fellows reported to me Saturday evening that they saw a Brant in about the same location where one was reported several weeks ago.  Whether this is the same one or another is questionable, as we had understood that the first one had been legally shot by goose hunters a couple of weeks ago.

Has anyone else seen the Brant in the last few days?

Incidentally, Carol Gwynn and I saw the Red-throated Loon close to the north shore about 200 yards east of the beach area.  The beach is closed to auto traffic, but you can park just outside the fence and walk a few feet to set up scopes on the upper parking lot.  We also saw a female White-winged Scoter.  Did not see the Red-necked Grebe at Pine View Reservoir.

--Steve Carr