Eurasian Wigeon seen on Ouray National Wildlife Refuge Bird Survey

Ouray National Wildlife Refuge
General Waterbird Survey
11/5/04

A Eurasian wigeon was seen in Leota Bottom.  The brown/rust colored head and cream colored forehead really made the bird stand out.  If interested in seeing the bird, directions are below.  The following birds were seen within the survey route:

Canada geese        1383
Mallard         326
Gadwall  124
Northern shoveler  42
Green-winged teal  825
Pintail  346
Wigeon          41
Bufflehead  2
Scaup  8
American coot  1150
Pied-billed grebe  3
Great blue heron  1
Sandhill crane  100
Bald eagle  2
Red-tailed hawk  1
Northern harrier        2
Eurasian wigeon  1

I found the Eurasian wigeon about 9:30 am on Friday (11/5) in L-8 of Leota Bottom.  With Leota open for waterfowl hunting and it being a weekend tomorrow, hard to say how long the bird will stick around.  To get to L-8:  Turn south on Hwy 88 from Hwy 40.  Hwy 88 is 14 miles west of Vernal and 13 miles east of Roosevelt.  Go about 13 miles on Hwy 88 past Pelican Lake; the Refuge entrance road is clearly marked.  Stop at the kiosk (won't be anyone in the office on Sat. or Sunday) to pick up a map of the Refuge.  Proceed on the main entrance road towards the hatchery.  Leota Bottom is before the hatchery.  Once you get to the Bottom go to the third gate and park (The first gate has an outhouse in the parking lot and is the start of Leota Bottom).  You will have to walk in from there.  A scope is needed.  Beware of duck hunters.  L-8 is the only unit with substantial water so most of the hunters are going there.  Walk down the dike in between the two wetland units.  L-8 is on your right.  The unit has very little emergent vegetation so the birds are easy to see but they can be far away.  You may need to walk down to the dike at the bottom of L-8 between L-8 and the canal.  I was about half way across that dike when I found the bird.

Diane Penttila
Ouray NWR
Randlett, UT
(435)545-2522 x 223