Re: [BirdTalk] Scoters at Hyrum Lake

The scoters at Hyrum Reservoir in Cache Valley yesterday were all juvenile Surf Scoters.  The birders Richard refers to below were members of Wasatch Audubon Society (WAS) on their regular Wednesday morning bird walk.  I spoke with Jack Rensel of WAS this evening and he said that after Richard left, the remaining birders were able to validate that the six juvenile scoters were Surfs.

Kris

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 1:52 PM
Subject: [BirdTalk] Scoters at Hyrum Lake

This morning, I decide to check out Hyrum Lake to see what was on it.  When I arrived, I ran into a group of birders, but I'm not sure where they were from.  They told me that there were a group of Scoters on the lake.  They let me observe them through one of their scopes, and neither I, nor anyone else could decide if they were White-winged  or Surf Scoters.  I then went back home to get Jill, and when I got back to the sport that I had originally observed them from, I saw a group of about 6 birds or so fly off, and they had white patches on their wings.  This makes me think that the Scoters were White-winged Scoters.  I just went back to see if I could see them again, but they were gone.

I'm hoping that someone else has sen these birds on Hyrum Lake and can confirm if they are, in fact, Surf Scoters.

I also saw on my three trips to the lake Common and Pacific Loons, Western Grebes, American Coots, Buffleheads and the usual gulls.

Good birding,
Richard