Mantua Reservoir Birds

The recent rains and snow haven't done much to raise the water level in Mantua Reservoir, but the ducks are still finding refuge there in greater numbers.  The predominant duck species there today were the Lesser Scaup and the Redhead.  This morning I also saw:

Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
GREATER SCAUP
Bufflehead
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck

The Greater Scaup were primarily at the northwest curve of the reservoir, although I also saw two males on the east side.  The most distinctive features that led to the ID were the lower, rounded crowns and the black nail at the end of the beak that was very wide in comparison to the nails of the Lessers present.  The lighter sides (as compared to the Lesser Scaup) aren't as visible yet because neither species has completely donned their alternate plumage.  I didn't look for females--too much tedium and too much lazy!

I recommend a spotting scope for birding from the dike.  The waterfowl can easily see birders from most approaches and move even farther away.  I brought a chair with me, so I just sat down until they drifted back into scope range.  The same technique worked from the southeast corner (accessible from a short spur off the dike road).  Few birds were within good binoculars range.

Also seen in or around the reservoir:

Ring-necked Pheasant
California Quail
Common Loon
Pied-billed Grebe
HORNED GREBE
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Bald Eagle
American Coot
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Ring-billed Gull
Black-billed Magpie
Black-capped Chickadee
Brown Creeper
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
House Finch
American Goldfinch

The Horned Grebe was also swimming around the northwest curve; sometimes with Eared Grebes, sometimes with Ruddy Ducks.  This bird has completely assumed its black-crowned, white-cheeked, white-necked winter wardrobe.

I also visited Mayor's Pond in eastern Brigham City both today and a couple weeks ago--the waterfowl haven't found this spot yet this season.

Mantua Reservoir is located in Box Elder County, about 2 miles east of Brigham City on US 89/91.

Kris