Sabine's Gull

Hello all,

As of yesterday (10/15/04) at 6:00 PM the Sabine's Gull was still at the bridge closest to the island. It was still on the north side of the bridge, and it was VERY close. One didn't even need binoculars to see it. It was swimming/feeding immediately north of the bridge in that "pool" of water you see just as you look over the bridge. I observed it from 4:30 to 6:00 PM. Many thanks to the photos posted by Milton Moody which made this as easy as could be.

Also of interest, just because of their sheer numbers, were at about mile marker ~5.5 (well, if there was a mile marker there) I observed about 200 Killdeer. They were not tighly bunched together, more like spread out over 150 yards. I got out my scope just to see if any other straggler plovers were hanging out with them, but there were not any. However, I just saw more, and more, and more as I looked through my scope. (This, of course, does not compare with the seven billion Am. Coots that Kris Purdy saw a while ago. ; ) )There were a few (~30) Sanderlings mixed in and still a couple of Am. Avocet out there (way out there).

Brian