Fwd: Acorn Woodpecker

This was forwarded to me by Marilyn Davis, Red Cliffs Audubon. The sighting
was reported to her by Lee Jones:

"I  went birding yesterday (Aug 31) to Kolob Res. and the Lava Point area
of Zion's.

Just before you get to the Lamoreaux Ranch Cabin is a large, old pine
tree, about 70 feet west of the road.  At the
base of the tree is a small water catchments pond (actually a mud
hole).  The area around the tree was very
active with bird life.  The most interesting to me was some Lewis
Woodpeckers.  As I watch the Lewis's, a
 lone Acorn Woodpecker flew by.  It's light yellow, clownish face was
easily seen.

The tree is 1.5 miles down canyon from the Lamoreaux Cabin, or about 2
miles up canyon from the parking lot of
the Wildcat Canyon Trailhead next to Pine Valley Peak.
(Lamoreaux Cabin is about 1.5 miles down canyon from Blue Springs
Reservoir)

Lee Jones"

----- End forwarded message -----