The Good and the Funky at Farmington Bay

Jim McIntyre and I birded several areas in Farmington Bay today and saw several 'good', post-worthy birds.  All units accessed from the north entrance past Goose Egg Island are still closed to motorized vehicles, but walkers and bicycle riders are still welcome.

The number of BLACK TERNS using the area is significant.  Their plumage spans the spectrum from almost full breeding plumage to full winter plumage.  A good spot to see Black Terns is at the southwest corner of Unit 1.  The distance from the gate at Goose Egg Island to this spot is about 1.5 miles.  We also saw Black Terns perched with Forster's on metal walkways over channels, on metal railings of ramps leading down to water, and on posts out in the water.  Caspian Terns were present as well.

The funkiest sight of the day may have been a partially leucistic HORNED GREBE.  We came across this oddly-plumaged bird sitting in the mud next to water on the north side of the dike, 1.5 miles west of the Turpin Unit gate.  Despite the grebe's odd behavior, I don't think it was either sick or injured.  It entered the water as we approached and bathed or dove vigorously both times we passed the spot.  The bird's feathers were mostly white with small black blotchy marks on the feathers of the back and sides.  Instead of a rufous neck, the grebe sported a pale, washed-out orange neck.  The usual golden head stripes were the palest yellow, and the only real black on the head feathers was on the lower tips of the "helmet" on either side of the bird's neck.  Despite this odd coloration, the bird's eye was still laser-beam red, as was the line that runs from the eye below the lores to the beak.  The beak itself and the feet were both generally dark gray/black. We could see the white grebe under the surface of the shallow green-brown water as it swam and foraged.  I have to say...well, I just can't help myself...that this grebe paled in comparison to other Horned Grebes I've seen.  Yuk, yuk, yuk.

I was surprised not only because of the grebe's plumage and sitting-on-the-mud behavior, but also because of the early date for this rare transient.  For those of you who keep monthly records, could you please reply with the usual timing of fall Horned Grebe sightings?  Thanks.

We flushed a SHORT-EARED OWL as we made our way down the dike road along Turpin Unit.  We got good looks at the face before the owl flew across the emergent marsh north of the road and perched on tall grass several hundred yards away.  That face, that face!  The Short-eared Owl certainly has the most riveting facial appearance of any of the Northern Utah owl species.  I apologize if those of you who love the Northern Saw-whet's face are affronted by my last statement.

A GREAT EGRET stalked in the open water of Turpin Unit on the other side of the road from where we saw the owl.  The spot for both birds was 3.7 miles west of the Turpin gate.

We saw many eclipse-plumage waterfowl species including some that were unable to fly.  Shorebird sightings included Killdeer, Black-necked Stilts, American Avocets, Lesser Yellowlegs, Willets, Spotted Sandpipers, a Long-billed Curlew, a Long-billed Dowitcher, a Wilson's Snipe, bunches of Wilson's Phalaropes, but no peeps.  And of course, we saw the 'usual' great stuff--Black-crowned Night-herons, Soras, Eastern Kingbirds, and many more.

For more information about Farmington Bay WMA (in particular, unit opening/closure dates and a link to a map), launch the link below.

Kris

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/habitat/farmington_bay.html