question

We are experiencing a very strange occurrence on the island.  We have
many cliff and barn swallows nesting, roosting on our visitor center.
Nothing new or strange with that...  An employee has experienced
hundreds of small bugs in and around her computer.  She also has
experienced dozens of bites on her shoulders, arms, back, head, and
face.  After close inspection two days ago, we discovered these bugs are
the swallow bugs (Oeciacus vicarius).  After researching the bugs on the
internet, we have discovered that these bugs are common to swallow
nests, can live in an unoccupied nest for up to three years, and can
carry and transmit a virus (WEE-western equine encephalitis) that can
cause encephalitis in humans.  The swallow bug is related to the bed bug
and is a blood-sucking insect.
Here is my question...  Does anyone know anything about this bug???
Such as how to exterminate?   Is there any confirmed cases of infected
birds in this area?   Or is there any confirmed cases of infected bugs
carrying the virus in this area????
Also, does anyone have suggestion on how to control nest building??  We
love the birds and enjoy seeing their fledglings but we have now
encountered a visitor and employee safety issue...
Anyone with help or advice is welcome.
Thanks.

Jolene