Use caution when IDing Pelicans at Utah Lake

I went birding out behind the Steel Plant this morning looking for the Brown Pelican but all I saw was dirty White Pelicans. I went back out again after Leila reported her sighting and again just dirty white pelicans.

Some of the Pelicans in the area must be getting into some oil. There are many brownish American White Pelicans out there. One particular Pelican that flew in was very dark (almost black) on it?s bill, head, neck, belly and tail. The only kind of white spot left was the top of the wings and the back. As it stretched out its neck to land a thought I was watching a Wood Stork (my heart stopped for a second). When it faced my way all I could see was brown. Until it opened its wings and showed white underwings with black secondaries and primaries. I could also see that the breast feathers were soaked bad in something because they were all matted together and formed streaks down the birds chest. The feathers were so matted the dirty bird even looked smaller that the clean ones.

There could defiantly be a Brown Pelican out there. The birds move around a lot and it is a very big lake. Just be aware that there are some ?brown? White Pelicans.

Eric Huish Pleasant Grove UT poorwill_@hotmail.com 801-360-8777