Recent Birding

  An overnight trip to San Juan County last
friday/saturday produced not only GUNNISON SAGE
GROUSE, but also lots of the usual birds at Devils
Canyon C. G.- Pygmy Nuthatch, Western Bluebirds,
White-breasted Nuthatch, Red-naped Sapsucker, Hairy
Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker. In addition, two pairs
of Williamson's Sapsucker were seen. Could these nest
here? They sure seemed like they were in and around
nesting trees and territories.
  No Acorn Woodpecker or Eastern Bluebirds were found.
If anyone happens to be down that way and finds these
rarities, please be sure to post them.
  On the AI Causeway [mid last week] I saw all the
reported peeps, and the Horned Grebes, but no
Black-bellied Plover. I did see a WHIMBREL at mile
post 5, south side, out with the gulls. However, as I
watched it, it flew off to the southeast along the
shoreline. I had hoped it would stick around and be
seen this past weekend, but apparently it was not
reported.
  A single Semipalmated Plover and Snowy Plover was
seen along the shore of Utah Lake in the bay east of
Lincoln Point this evening.
  The next few weeks are the best birding of the year,
so lets get after it!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash