Trumpeter swans still at Pineview and Mantua update

Trumpeter swans are still at Pineview reservoir. Two collared birds, Y01
and Y03, were seen just north of the Ogden Yacht Club (NW section of the
reservoir) in the company of three tundra swans at about 3:30 p.m. today.
One of the collared birds Kristin originally reported on 3/20, Y09, has
disappeared. There are justifiable concerns that it may have met an
untimely end. If you visit Pineview to see the swans, please keep your
eyes open for its body, as mortality information is an important part of
the study.

Mantua is alive with water fowl, as Kristin reported yesterday. A pair of
horned grebe were consorting along the western embankment, about 25 yards
from shore and about 400 yards north of the boat ramp. A Barrow's
goldeneye was observed at the south end of the reservoir, less than 100
yards from the boat ramp. There were numerous greater scaup (15-20?)
swimming about 100-200 yards out from shore along the south end of the
lake. Unfortunately the sleet was absolutely pelting down during my visit
and visibility was limited to about 600 yards. I'm sure there were many
other interesting birds on the water that I missed.

Lu Giddings