Spotted Towhee?

I am new to the area, having recently moved from San Antonio, TX.  I do
however consider myself to be somewhat experienced as an intermediate
birder.

Today, in Hyrum, UT near the Hyrum State Park I was out walking/birding
and came across a SPOTTED TOWHEE that was singing the song of a
YELLOW-EYED JUNCO.  I watched him for over 10 minutes noting that it was
nothing like the song of a SPOTTED TOWHEE nor that of a EASTERN TOWHEE.
To me it was distinctly wrong and that's why I wanted to remember it
precisely.  When I got home I played the song of both TOWHEEs then went
through the JUNCOS, when I got to the YELLOW-EYED JUNCO the sound was
exactly what I heard out there in the field.

Does anyone out there know of birds that look like one bird but sing like
another, and how common this is?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Jill Wood