FARMINGTON BAY, ANTELOPE ISLAND, GSL SHORELANDS PRESERVE

Yesterday I visited Farmington Bay WMA with Bill Fenimore.  We saw close to 1000 Tundra Swans on the closed Units, but could not refind the Bewick's.  The swans are further out now as a lot of the ice has melted.  There were still close to 100 Bald Eagles present - also far out.

After sending Bill back to work :(, I went on to Antelope Island to search for the Long-eared Owls previously reported at Garr Ranch.  I reached the ranch about 4 p.m. and thoroughly searched the woods and bushes near the buildings and around the Nature Trail for the owls - particularly looking close to tree trunks.  No sightings, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't there.  I did find 2 gray objects on the Nature Trail that I thought might be owl pellets.  I also walked through the large barn, but spotted nothing.

It was still bright and sunny at 5 p.m., so I doubt that the owls would have been out hunting yet, if indeed they were there.

There was also a coyote in its beautiful winter coat walking on the ice offshore from the ranch.

Incidentally, the Ranch is open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. only!  I talked to the man who works there.  He followed me out in his truck and closed the gate on the road just after 5 p.m.

Returning across the Causeway, I saw several hundred Tundra Swans on the Lake about 1/2-mile southwest of the entrance booth.  Two seemed larger than the others .... ??? There were also more swans about 1/2-mile north.  Presumably these birds were resting, because I can't conceive of any food source for them out there.

On the way back to SLC, I stopped at TNC's new GSL Shorelands Preserve west of Layton.  There seemed to be a lot of waterfowl activity out near the lakeshore.  I saw a Bald Eagle fly over the marsh in the distance.  Then, just before sunset, I watched 3 long lines of Tundra Swans flying north over the lake - totaling about 200 birds.  Truly a wonderful sight.

A great day!

Jim McIntyre