Rusty Blackbird, Varied Thrush, & Ruff?

Today on our UT county birders trip we were successful in locating both the Blackbird & the
Varied Thrush. The Thrush was about 100 yards up the road from Beus Pond in Logan. It was with
a bunch of robins in the trees along the road, but they all flew across the road and down into
the oak below the road.

After that we went to Farmington Bay. At the end of the road in the outflow there were
about 10 Gr. Yellowlegs, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Least, and 1 other shorebird. All of our group
but L. Giddings & I had to leave, but we stayed and watched this bird for about 3 hours and
came to the conclusion that it is a Ruff, but it doesn't really look like any in the books. I called
Eric & KC and they came down and we all agreed that it is probably a Ruff, but it doesn't really
match any of the pictures exactly and none of us have a lot of experience seeing them.

Honestly part of deciding on a Ruff was that I have no idea what else it could be - I think that
we eliminated every possibility. Hopefully it will stick around and a bunch of people can see it
and get some photos. We took some today and will try to post them on the web.

Good Birding,

Bryan Shirley