The Greatest Scaup in Brigham City!

Quick!  Get yourself to Brigham City in Box Elder County for a great waterfowl study opportunity on a relatively tough and uncommon species for Northern Utah--the Greater Scaup.  Glenn Barlow and I saw many--up to 20--this morning from 10:00 to 11:30 at the pond on UT 90 on the east side of town.  The scaup were also there late on Sunday afternoon, but after I picked up most of the field marks, my study opportunity collided with dusk and I had to return this morning for a second look with reinforcements.

There are several reasons why this is a great study opportunity.  First, Lesser Scaup were also present.  We could agonize and compare every nuance of every field mark, including the white stripe on the primaries and secondaries, depending on which species stretched its wing.  Here's a gem from Kaufman's Advanced Birding:  "If you are fortunate enough to visit a pond or bay where both species are present, it would be most worthwhile to spend a few hours with a telescope studying their head and bill shapes from all angles, watching the apparent changes in head shape in both species."

Another factor that helped our study was the bright light at our backs the whole time.  Brigham City is experiencing the same fog as the rest of the Wasatch Front; however, by the time we arrived, the fog had lifted to the mountains and the sun was shining.  The only minor impediment was that thin wisps curled up off the surface of the water the whole time we were there.  Once we realized it was the water and not our lenses fogging up, we could deal with the challenge.

Here's what we saw on the male Greater Scaup compared to the Lesser:  a lower, more rounded and arching crown, a bigger and broader bill with a more extensive black tip, cleaner and sometimes immaculate white sides, and larger overall size.  Glenn picked up the overall body size difference much more clearly than I did, but I was greatly comforted by the second line in the chapter on scaup in Kaufman:  "The size difference is not strikingly obvious even when the two are together..."  So if you think the Greater ought to look greater than the Lesser and the Greater doesn't really look greater, don't fuss over it greatly.  We noticed that at no time did the Greater Scaup ever appear to have a point on the crown aft of the eye.  The light conditions were so good that we even picked up the green metallic cast to the Greater Scaup's head.  The Lessers never really showed a metallic color--they just looked dark, as if their head plumage absorbed light instead of reflected it.

Once we studied the males we moved on to the females.  Whether or not the gals were sleeping with heads tucked, subtle differences began to emerge.  The Greater female's head was more rounded and sloped in a low arch.  The color of the plumage was a darker, more chocolate brown, and the white 'kidney bean' aft of the bill was more distinct.  The best look I got of the longer white stripe on the primaries was on a female Greater, and the stripe obviously extended along her secondary flight feathers and well into the primaries as she stretched one wing.  I later watched a Lesser female stretch in the same way, and the white wing stripe appeared truncated in comparison.

I found it very difficult to count the Greater Scaup.  I counted four times and came up with different numbers from 14 to 20.  The Greater Scaup were in a large (100-150) and constantly moving mixed raft, including the Lessers, and I was only willing to count a particular duck as a Greater if I saw it in a 90 degree profile view.  Sometimes I saw profiles 20 times, sometimes 14 times. I believe there were more females present than males.

Here's the other birds we saw:  a male and a female Barrow's Goldeneye, 35 Ring-necked Ducks, Common Goldeneyes, American Wigeon, Gadwall, Mallards, Green-winged Teal, a Canada Goose, a Pied-billed Grebe, one female Northern Shoveler and a Great-blue Heron.  Last night, I also saw three Wilson's Snipe and two muskrats.  I suspect this pond gets a lot of waterfowl traffic because neither the Mallards, teal, nor Ring-necks were there last night.

Here's how to get there.  From points along the Wasatch Front, take I-15 to exit 364 (Brigham City, Logan, and UT 91).  Turn east.  UT 91 intersects Main Street in about 2 miles.  Turn left (north) on Main Street and drive to the Brigham City Tabernacle.  Turn right (east) after the tabernacle on UT 90.  Drive .9 miles and look for the pond on your left.  If you're driving from Cache Valley, take US 89/UT 91 past Mantua and take the first Brigham City exit (UT 90).  You'll find the pond on your right in approximately .2-.3 miles.  There's a good, wide pullout along the south side of the pond on a road that doubles as an entrance to a gravel pit.  You'll likely have sand and gravel trucks thundering past as you study.

Kris