Red-throated Loon at Quail Creek (11/10)

Hello,
This morning (11/10) Kristen and I visited Quail Creek State Park.  When we
first arrived we noticed a large dark duck that unfortunately flew off
before we could get a good look.  We though it was probably a Surf Scoter.
The next odd bird we turned up was a small loon, but unfortunately it was on
the opposite shore and proceeded to swim into a cove, tuck its head and go
to sleep.

So we went over to Sand Hollow State Park, and started looking through the
huge rafts of ducks and there was the large dark duck. It was indeed a Surf
Scoter (adult female).

Later in the afternoon I met Kevin Wheeler, Matt Curtis and eventually Erik
Meyer at Quail Creek.  We relocated the loon and after intensive study
(mostly from across the lake) finally concluded it was a first year
Red-throated Loon.  I'm certain this is a different bird than the one
previously reported at Gunlock State Park.

Best Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT