Red-throated Loon and Tundra Swans at Gunlock

Hello,
I returned home this afternoon (11/8) and had a message from Larry Tripp.
Larry had seen several good birds today (and I'll let him post the details
on the others) including a Red-throated Loon at Gunlock State Park
(Washington Co., UT). Larry didn't have a scope and thought the loon looked
a bit odd.  So I called Larry and we met at Gunlock a little before dark
(5:00p).  We relocated the loon and although we had great looks, we could
not get photographs.  The loon is an adult molting from alternate into basic
plumage. A large portion of the throat is still red.  Its a great looking
bird and I've never seen one that looked quite like this.

There were also 8-10 Common Loons at Gunlock.

After the sun set we were standing by the reservoir enjoying the calm
evening when a flock of 11 Tundra Swans flew in, circled a couple times, and
eventually landed on the reservoir.  There were two adults and nine young
birds.  These are the first Tundra Swans I've seen in Washington County.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if anyone needs any additional
information,

Best Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane UT.