Lewis's Woodpecker, etc.

Thanks to Kris and Dana, I had fun stuff to do today.  The Lewis' s
Woodpecker was at Shadow Valley Drive and Fillmore Street, in Ogden, on a
light pole.  It was traveling from the pole to a nearby tree, retrieving
nuts, and stuffing them in the top of the light pole.  If you go, this is a
residential area and a fairly busy street.  The bird flew off as I drove by,
and came back a few minutes later.  Shadow Valley Dr. goes east from
Harrison Blvd. at about 5300 South, and Fillmore is a couple of blocks east
of Harrison.  The Lewis's is such a classy bird (as is the Black Rosy
Finch).

Speaking of Lewis, did Lewis and Clark log all of the birds they saw on
their expedition?  There's an idea for a year goal for the Lewis and Clark
Bicentennial for next year. . .

The picture-perfect Long-tailed Duck was still along the Antelope Island
Causeway today.  It was in with a group of Eared Grebes and Common Goldeneye
by the last bridge before you get to the "island."  There were also a lot of
swans visible from the causeway today (to the north).  I'd never seen swans
from that location before.  So, if you keep a Causeway list, here's your
chance.  There were still Sanderlings there today, also.

On a sadder note, I stopped the other day at the spot where I saw my first
Bald Eagle of the winter season last year.  This was on west Clarke Lane in
Farmington. (north of Glover Lane)  All of the old trees had been ripped
out, houses were going in, and Eagle Bay Elementary had been built across
the street.  The eagles will probably look for another bay.  Should I wish
the new residents of that area lots of mosquitoes?  No, that wouldn't be
nice.

Carol