Sandhill Cranes

I realize that Sandhill Cranes are not uncommon in parts of Utah, but I
have never seen them massed as I did Sunday 11/2 (~2:00 p.m.). They were on
the Green River at Dinosaur National Monument (Uintah Co., east of Vernal).
I did not have much time to observe because of other commitments, but I
conservatively estimate that I had at least 1000 in view at once; maybe
twice that.

The cranes were massed on the river and a field bordering it at the entry
station to the monument near the dinosaur quarry. Every sandbar I could see
was covered with cranes, as was the south bank of the river, and many
cranes were on the field above the river's south bank. Others were wading
in the river or flying. The sight was spectacular in itself, but hearing
the crane's rattling calls echoing in the rock walled draws behind me was
something. There were also several groups (5 to 50 cranes each) between the
monument and Jensen Utah.

Besides the cranes, I noted a Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, several greater
Yellow Legs, and numerous waterfowl that I did not have the time to sort
through.

Enjoy!
David Allan
Oak City, UT